Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ceithlinn's Jog-A-Thon

Every year Ceithlinn's school hold a jog-a-thon to raise funds for the PTO. Money can be pledged as a flat rate...$10 or by lap...$1.00 a lap. This money goes to the school for new playground equipment, field trips and other activities for the kids.

I like the jog-a-thon because it isn't selling overpriced junk or junk food. This is encouraging the kids to be a bit more healthy and using their own bodies to raise money for the school. I can get behind this one 100%.

The plan for the jog-a-thon was that Josh would take a couple hours off work so I could run with Ceithlinn and he could take pictures, watch Matthew, and mark laps. Our car had another idea. The starter went out half an hour before the jog-a-thon began. So, Matthew and I hoofed it up to the school...20-25 minutes later we arrived just in time to it to get started. Poor Matthew was a little tired by the time we got there. I carried him for part of it, but with him being 40 pounds, and me out of shape....

So, the jog began and Ceithlinn was pretty strong. I told her that Matthew and I would join her on lap 3 or 4. That we did. Matthew was pretty rested and enjoyed the little run. As you can see by the pictures she was getting pretty tired... well, at least the diva part in her. Look at the picture with the two kids and you will see what she really looked like during the jog.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed to not run with her. I did run another lap with her and had her (and some of her classmates) chase me. Seeing a mom run gave these kids motivation to kick it into gear at least for a little bit.

By the end Ceithlinn was able to complete 9 laps in 30 minutes... that is about 2 miles. Not bad for little legs and a girl recovering from a cold and with an ear infection. We found this out the next day when we brought her to the doc for pink eye. We are so proud of her! Way to Ceithlinn!

3 comments:

Meg said...

wow she ran a jog a thon before i did my 5k i am so happy for you guys

Shera said...

Way to go Ceithlinn! I am so impressed. I loved talking with you tonight. I hope you are feeling better now. <:0)

Gates Family said...

Ceithlinn says, "Thank you! I love you. I want to tell you that I 'm going to send something in the mail for you and Tiersa. Ok, Megan? I hope I can visit you soon. I have a pink eye and an ear infection but I'm feeling a little bit better."