Sunday, August 21, 2016

Summer Tans and Good Things

(Told by Ceithlinn)


So, school's almost starting, I've got basically everything I need, and I'm prepared for the Freshman open house. Everything's perfect! Except for one thing: My summer tan. I mean, it's great that I actually got out of my room this summer and got a skin color other than pasty-white, but it isn't even a 'Farmer's Tan'! For any of you who have also sported it, I feel your pain. It is not the best look. What's worse is that no matter what I do, how many shorts I wear, how much sunscreen I avoid, I cannot make my legs darken at all! So while my bottom half puts vampires to shame, my top half can melt an entire ice cream cone in thirty seconds. I guess it's not that bad, I'm just not used to my skin being a 'normal' color. Most of my family is from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England, so I basically have no pigment. But I'm also a Washingtonian, so I live without sun pretty much all year round. So, as you can see, my pigment-less skin has even less pigment. That being said, it's a great reminder of all the things we've done this summer!

At the beginning of summer, just a few weeks after school was out, my mother ran a Cub Scout Day camp. I was really proud of the camp shirts, since they were based off of my original design. My job during that was to make and pass out volunteer thank-yous and to watch Aimee. Between all the time playing with her, going out with the thank-yous, and washing and packing everything up, my arms and face were red with sunburn. With the help of aloe vera, it quickly healed and faded into a slight tan.
Final product
My concept












About a week later, I went to my church's Girls' Camp. It was a lot of fun to hang out with friends and learn new skills! I also loved the beginning and end of day meetings. Our 'Security Dudes' made their own skits and parodies to sing during roll call and they were always funny! Almost everyone was nice. When I got home, my skin darkened into the tan I have today.

So even though it may not be greatest looking tan in the world, the memories attached to it are worthwhile. Wow. That actually sounded really weird. Anyway, have a great day and be happy!

No comments: