Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ceithlinn-isms

A little while back I was making banana bread and realized I was out of baking powder. I tried borrowing some from a neighbor, she too was out of baking powder. So, when Ceithlinn got home from school I let her know that we needed to go across the street to Grocery Outlet and see if they had any. We went and were not successful. They DO NOT sell baking powder. I told the kids I needed to call Josh to see if he would be willing to pick some up on the way home from work. Ceithlinn asked if she could call. I said sure. The message that was left went something like this in a sighing voice..."Hi, Dad. Basically, we ran out of baking powder and went to Grocery Outlet to find some, but they don't have any. So, here we are going home baking powder-less. Can you please pick some up on your way home." Josh did pick up what was needed to finish our delicious banana bread.

My favorite part of this "baking powder-less." I would have said without baking powder, but baking powder-less seems so much better.

A second Ceithlinn-ism that left her PE teacher speechless happened this past Tuesday. According to her teacher, Mrs. Tripp, the kids were filing into the gym with both her and the PE teacher, Mr. Shaw on either side of the door. Now, to get the full impact of this story you must know that Mr. Shaw is very rarely speechless. He has a great report with students and is quick with comebacks. That said, Ceithlinn walked up to Mrs. Tripp and in all seriousness said, "Mrs. Tripp, I think I am going to get breast cancer."

Mrs. Tripp looked to Mr. Shaw for support and nothing was offered. So, she asked Ceithlinn why she thought that.

Ceithlinn replied while holding her left ribs, "Because I have a pain right here."

Mrs. Tripp smiled and said, "I think you will be okay."

Ceithlinn walked off and Mr. Shaw simply said, "How do you respond to that?"

Mrs. Tripp has shared this story with the principal and other teachers. They are quite impressed with Ceithlinn vocabulary and maturity in talking. Apparently, the principal asked, "Is that the same girl that came and asked if she could have an appointment with me." I didn't know Ceithlinn had asked for an appointment with Mrs. Miller. I will ask her about this when she gets home.

All I can say when I hear stories like this is, "That's our Ceithlinn." There is no one else like her. She brings so much joy and laughter into our lives. We are so very blessed.

On another note: I think the reason Ceithlinn was mentioning the stitch in her side is because she thinks she isn't a good runner because she is the youngest in her class. I think she may have been hoping for a way out of running that day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I can see why he was left speechless! How do you respond to a comment like that? She comes up with some unusual things. :)